Community Resources for Care
What kind of help is available through community organizations?
In several areas of the state, there are community organizations that provide medical, dental or mental health services for Virginians who would have trouble receiving care otherwise. Depending on the organization, one or more of the following services might be available:
- Dental or vision care;
- Specialty medical care;
- Immunizations, school physicals and/or family planning;
- Medication assistance;
- Respite care;
- Nutrition counseling and/or wellness activities and education;
- Mental health services, HIV/AIDS education, prevention and testing and/or substance abuse treatment.
Statewide Community Resources:
- If you don’t qualify for government aid or private health care assistance to cover routine eye or vision care, VISION USA™ can help. This program provides basic eye health and vision care services free of charge to uninsured, low-income people and their families.
- Individual insurance counseling assistance is available free of charge through Virginia Insurance Counseling Program (VICAP). VICAP counselors at local Area Agencies on Aging can help resolve claims or billing problems, assist with filing for benefits, and help people sort through complicated statements and notices.
- Project Access of the Dan River Region provides access to care to those in Danville and Pittsylvania County without insurance who can’t afford it on their own but don’t qualify for Medicare or Medicaid. Assistance is provided with primary and specialty care, prescription medicine, transportation and case management. The program offers medical services through sites in Danville, Martinsville and Chatham.
- Fairfax County residents who are uninsured and unable to pay for doctor visits or medicine may be eligible to receive care through one of Fairfax County’s Community Health Care Network (CHCN) Centers.
- Sentara Potomac Hospital’s two mobile clinics provide primary care to Prince William County residents. These Family Health Connection mobile clinics provide physical exams, vision and hearing screenings, blood pressure checks, immunizations, basic medical care and health information, as well as breast exams and screening for diabetes and hypertension. For more information, call 703-523-1095.
- Project Access of Northern Virginia works to increase access to specialty care through a volunteer network of physicians who provide care to low-income, uninsured “safety net” patients in Fairfax County and Alexandria City at no cost.
- The Pediatric Primary Care Project provides primary medical care for uninsured children in Prince William County, Manassas, and Manassas Park.
- Access Now helps the neediest uninsured patients in the Richmond area receive free services from medical specialists and diagnostic experts.
- Richmond city, Henrico and Chesterfield County, Petersburg and Amelia residents may be able to receive care through Bon Secours Care-A-Van. The Care-A-Van offers immunizations and free medical services to adults and children without health insurance. The Care-A-Van operates on a first-come, first-served basis. Individuals are advised to arrive early.
- Project Access of the Roanoke Valley is a physician driven, community supported, patient-centered program that arranges and coordinates comprehensive healthcare services for low-income uninsured in the Roanoke area.
- Project Care coordinates specialty care care for Tidewater area residents who do not have health insurance, Medicare or Medicaid and whose incomes are no more than 200% of the federal poverty level. Primary health care is provided through the area’s free clinic, community health center and health department.
- Jewish Family Service of Tidewater offers home care and home health care for Tidewater residents on a sliding scale based on ability to pay.
- Bon Secours Maryview Foundation Healthcare Center provides medical services and medication assistance to indigent and uninsured persons residing in Portsmouth. To find out eligibility and wait list information, contact the center at 757/215-3100.