If your organization and initiative meet the general eligibility requirements for a Virginia Health Care Foundation Health Safety Net Grant, your next step will be to develop and submit a Concept Paper — a brief document that provides VHCF with an overview of what your goals are.
Each spring and fall, VHCF reviews the Concept Papers submitted in the previous few months as the first step in the VHCF grant process. Those organizations whose Concept Papers merit further consideration are then asked to submit a Formal Proposal.
Concept Papers should describe:
- The problem or community need that the project will address.
- The project name and a description of the proposed project, how it addresses the community’s needs as it relates to the mission of the Foundation.
- The anticipated results or impact of the project on the community.
- A timeframe of activities.
- A description of the applicant organization.
- An explanation of the organization’s strategic plan and how the proposed project fits into the plan. If the applicant does not have a strategic plan, indicate how the proposed project fits with the organization’s mission and vision for the future.
- The local leadership and community support for the project.
- Plans for sustaining the project after Foundation funds are depleted.
- Estimated total project costs and the amount you are seeking from the Foundation for the first grant year. (The concept paper must indicate that a minimum of 25% of total project costs will come from the community through cash and/or in-kind contributions.)
Concept Paper requirements:
- Concept papers must include a completed Concept Paper Cover Sheet.
- Concept papers must be no longer than three (3) typewritten, double-spaced pages, using standard font size (12 point), letter-sized paper (8½”´11″), 1” margins, and page numbers (excluding the cover sheet).
- VHCF requires an original and four copies of the concept paper.
- Please do not send attachments of any kind with the concept paper; they will not be acknowledged or returned.
- Concept papers must be mailed (they cannot be faxed or sent via email) to:
Deborah Oswalt, Executive Director
Virginia Health Care Foundation
707 E. Main Street, Suite 1350
Richmond, VA 23219
Upcoming Concept Paper deadlines:
- January 20, 2017 by 5:00 pm (Spring 2017)
- July 14, 2017 by 5:00 pm (Fall 2017)
Within two weeks after the deadline, organizations whose concept papers merit further consideration will be asked to submit a Formal Proposal.
- VHCF responds to concept paper inquiries only and does not respond to unsolicited formal proposals or to general requests for funds.
- An invitation to submit a concept paper or a proposal does not guarantee funding for a project.
- Please do not submit a formal proposal unless requested to do so by VHCF.
- Grant awards are only assured after the application/review process is complete, the Foundation’s Board of Trustees has made final determinations regarding awards, and a satisfactory letter of agreement has been signed by all appropriate parties.
Please review Concept Paper Frequently Asked Questions
Contact a VHCF program officer:
Cat Hulburt (804) 828-7524
Andrea Lancaster (804) 828-7481